So after that previous dress turning out to not be right for the night, I had a couple days left to come up with something more fitting to an evening in a ballroom celebrating and dancing. So here is what I went with.
I had just a bit of material left over from what I used for Regency Inspired maxi dress I made last summer. I loved the color and thought it could do for what I had in mind, but it would only be enough to make a skirt that was WAY too short. So I headed over to Dressew again and found that in their discount basement they had some of the very same fabric but in a different shade of blue.
For the bodice, I used a vintage vogue pattern which I have no idea the number for. It was the bodice pattern from my wedding dress and the darts had already been shifted and adjusted to fit my odd bod. It is actually quite intricate, so I should get some photos of the lining too. The bodice is three layers: two layers of lining in which boning is sewed in, and then the outer bodice itself...plus one of those ribbon belts (I forget the proper terminology for them).
I was seriously a half hour late getting there because I was finishing this as fast as I could. In fact, 'finished' perhaps isn't the right word. As one friend phrased it, it was my 'soft launch' for the dress. But at least I felt ready to party in this, even if I didn't feel it was my best work ever.